Court of Protection Deputyship

If a person lacks capacity they may need someone else to manage decisions and financial matters on their behalf. 
If they have not made a Lasting Power of Attorney then someone will need to apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as a deputy.


It is usually a relative or close friend that would make the application to be a deputy, but it could be also a professional person and, in limited circumstances, the Local Authority may apply. 

Types of deputy?

A deputy is usually appointed to deal with financial matters for a person who lacks capacity.  Sometimes it is possible to apply for a deputy to be appointed to deal with health and welfare decisions.  We can discuss this with you. 


An application is made to the Court of Protection with supporting medical evidence and payment of a Court fee.  It usually takes some months to obtain the Court Order appointing a deputy. 

Next Steps

To discuss an application for deputyship further please contact Helen Phillips by telephone on 020 8363 8341

Shepherd Harris & Co is the trading name of Shepherd Harris & Co Ltd a Limited Company in England and Wales, Registered No. 09132551

Its registered office is at 96 Silver Street, Enfield, Middlesex, EN1 3EL. Solicitors Regulation Authority No. 614728.

Also situated at : - 99-101 Crossbrook Street, Waltham Cross, EN8 8JR

© 2018 by Shepherd Harris & Co. Ltd

Our Mission Statement:

Our skilled and caring staff provide a high quality and efficient service

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon